[Samba] Closing sessions and smbstatus

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 20:01:10 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:52:57PM -0700, Steve Rippl wrote:

> But checking our server I find that the processes DO still exist!  So
> I'm getting a user session in smbstatus with a specific PID and when I
> ps -ef | grep PID there is the smbd process still running, yet the user
> has long since logged out (days ago)?!  It's not just that the .tbd file
> hasn't been updated, it's that the /usr/local/bin/smbd process is still
> running.  A restart of Samba clears them all up immediately, but why are
> they hanging around when the client is gone?  Is this just happening to
> me on our particular setup or is this normal behavior?

No, that's not normal behavior, but it does explain why
the session id's are hanging around. Once the client
terminates the TCP session the smbd should die (and
clean up all resources such as session id's etc.).

When you find a process in this state attach using
strace -p <pid> (on Linux) to see what it's up to.

Jeremy.