[Samba] cli_nt_create failed on pipe \spoolss. NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Oct 15 18:22:40 GMT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:56:05PM -0500, Salah Coronya wrote:
> I have a network at my parent's which consists of 4 machines: 1 Linux
> Samba saver (Fedora 9, Samba 3.2.x) and 3 Windows Vista Home Premium
> machine. I have point and print set up, and all load the drivers
> successfully. However, when they try print, nothing happens. Windows
> said it was successful however - it appears (then vanishes) from the
> Windows print queue. However, in the samba logs, this error appears
> every time a computer tries to print
>
> rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_rpc_pipe_open(2227)
>   cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \spoolss to machine
> owner-PC.  Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Ok, this is a red herring. It's the smbd trying to set up
a notify pipe back to the Windows client that submitted
the print job, but the client isn't listening. No harm
done, the client will just poll instead (in fact I might
just up the debug log on this so it doesn't worry people).

> Note, however, CUPS says is got the job and printed it successfully
> (even though nothing happens on the printer):
>
> [Job 79] File of type application/vnd.cups-raw queued by "owner".
> [Job 79] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp (PID 11207)
> [Job 79] Completed successfully.

If you see the above message it means that the
job got into the cups print subsystem - but is
being dropped inside there somewhere. This isn't
a Samba problem.

You might want to look into debugging the cups
backend hp job (it's probably a script - try
adding debug messages into it to find out what
is going on there. Is it printing to a USB
printer ?

Jeremy.