[Samba] cli_nt_create failed on pipe \spoolss. NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Salah Coronya salah.coronya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:56:05 GMT 2008

I have a network at my parent's which consists of 4 machines: 1 Linux
Samba saver (Fedora 9, Samba 3.2.x) and 3 Windows Vista Home Premium
machine. I have point and print set up, and all load the drivers
successfully. However, when they try print, nothing happens. Windows
said it was successful however - it appears (then vanishes) from the
Windows print queue. However, in the samba logs, this error appears
every time a computer tries to print

rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_rpc_pipe_open(2227)
   cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \spoolss to machine
owner-PC.  Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Note, however, CUPS says is got the job and printed it successfully
(even though nothing happens on the printer):

[Job 79] File of type application/vnd.cups-raw queued by "owner".
[Job 79] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp (PID 11207)
[Job 79] Completed successfully.

Printing works locally. This setup worked on Fedora 8 (using Samba
3.0.x). I've tried both with an without SELinux, but no change. I have
practically the same setup at home, even (almost) the same printer -
server is Gentoo Linux, Samba 3.0.x; client is Windows Vista Home
premium and prints fine. Gentoo does not yet have 3.2.x in the tree,
unfortunately.

Its been like this for months and I'm stumped.