[Samba] processes not closing

Doug Tucker tuckerd at engr.smu.edu
Fri Oct 3 14:01:26 GMT 2008

We are have a very serious issue we cannot seem to solve.  I cannot
duplicate the problem by trying, but sometimes when clients are logging
out, the smb processes are not closing upon their exit, and leaving the
processes running indefinitely, and often times with locked files that
they cannot then access when they log back in.  Doing a kill or even a
kill -9 on the process id often times will not work.  One example of a
constant problematic issue is a user that uses desktop search
constantly, often times when she logs out, it will leave 300-400
processes for her open.  Is there some configuration setting for timing
out connections I'm unaware of?  This is becoming a very hot political
issue, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to anyone,

Doug