[Samba] Samba & LDAP, with XP and Linux clients

Dave Beach drbeach at rogers.com
Thu Oct 2 14:11:42 GMT 2008

Hello - I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so if not I will be
grateful to learn of a more appropriate mailing list.

I have a Slackware box (2.6.26 kernel) running Samba 3.0.25b (yes, I know,
I'll upgrade soon). This machine provides DC functionality for several
Windows XP workstations in my house. I recently changed the backend password
database to OpenLDAP (v2.3.33) specifically because I wanted to start
introducing Linux clients to the domain as well. I thought everything went
well with the database migration, and all the XP clients seemed to continue
to interact with the DC normally (it may be relevant here to note that I
only use local profiles on the workstations, and no roaming profiles at
all).

I brought up a Debian (v4.0.x) workstation, and am having problems
authenticating on it with a valid domain username. My experiences are
causing me to question whether I fully understand my own OpenLDAP
implementation and Samba reconfiguration, along with the necessary additions
of things like NSS, PAM, etc.

I'd like to have a fairly detailed discussion of configurations and steps
for just about all of these things, which is why I'm not sure this is
exactly the right mailing list. I'd also be very willing to take a
discussion offline to e-mail with anyone who may be willing to help out.

So, before I post stuff that may be wildly off-topic, I thought I'd ask.
Please let me know.