[Samba] Member Server Problems

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Thu Oct 2 14:15:06 GMT 2008

I have having problems with what should be a fairly simple configuration.

I have a PDC and a Member server accessed by several windows
workstation. The PDC seem to be  working fine, but every time I restart
the network (usually for an update) all users have problems  accessing
the shares on the Member Server. Sometimes only a few share are
accessible. sometime none. I have been able to get it to work
eventually, but I still can figure our what is causing the problem.
Perhaps someone here can help,

PDC Globals

[global]
        workgroup = ATLANTA
        server string = %h mail passwd server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        hostname lookups = Yes
        logon path = \\THELMA\%U\.profiles
        logon drive = U:
        logon home = \\THELMA\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        security = user

Member Server Globals

[global]
        workgroup = ATLANTA
        server string = %h file server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        security = domain
        password server = 192.168.1.24
        log level = 3
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        wins proxy = yes
        wins server = 192.168.1.24
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind enum users = yes

Working Share

[Projects]
        path = /files/Lucretia/Projects
        comment = Project Specific Data
        force group = samba
        read only = no
#       valid users = @"ATLANTA\Domain Users"
        create mask = 0764
        directory mask = 0775

Not Working Share

[Office]
        comment = General Office Data
        path = /files/Lucretia/Office
        force group = samba
#       valid users = @"ATLANTA\Domain Users"
        read only = No
        create mask = 0764
        directory mask = 0775

On the Member Server

wbinfo -u lists the users

getent passwd lists users

net usersidlist lists the users

On the PDC Smbclient fails with this error

Domain=[ATLANTA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Another odd thing I've notices is that whne browsing the network under
windows there are two Workgroups shpown, the correct one ATLANTA and
another empty oen with the name of the PDC/login server THELMA. That
doesn't seem quite right.
--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal