[Samba] samba 3.2.4 WINs problem

plug bert plugbert at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 08:45:26 GMT 2008

Hello All,

   i have a PDC running on subnet 192.168.100.x, and i have set wins support = yes. i have another subnet 192.168.101.x where all my client windows 2k/XP/2003/samba clients reside. For some reason the WINs server doesn't update its entries whenever a client changes IP address -- it still serves up the previous ip address mapping. This only seems to be a problem with samba-based clients; i've tried changing ip addresses on windows clients, and the WINs seems to detect the ip address changes immediately.

  For example, when i change the ip address for samba server serverA, from 192.168.101.1 to 192.168.101.2, an 'nmbloookup -R -U PDC serverA' returns 192.168.101.1, but an 'nmblookup serverA' returns 192.168.101.2.

  Upon suggestion from previous posts, the workaround now is to manually edit wins.dat on the WINS/PDC. While it does work well enough, i'm concerned that this may become a very big problem once i deploy this -- we have around 300 servers/VMs as of writing.

  Any advice? tia