[Samba] NetApp unable to join samba PDC

Robert Gehr robert.gehr at baumann-gmbh.de
Fri Nov 14 07:57:22 GMT 2008

Hello there

I've just been trying to get a NetApp FAS2020, DataOnTap 7.2.5.1 to join
our domain. No luck so far . The PDC is samba 3.2.4 with ldap backend.
I created the account manually and when I try to join the NetApp I get
these in the samba logs.

[2008/11/14 08:32:48,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_netr_ServerAuthenticate2(520)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate2: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client BAFS4 machine account BAFS4$

NetApp spits that out:
Once you have created and/or reset the 'BAFS4' machine account, press
ENTER. [continue]:
***     CIFS Setup could not establish a connection with the Primary
Domain
***     Controller (PDC). Usually this happens when the 'BAFS4' account
does
***     not exist in the domain or must have it's password reset.

I googled like a maniac and found one post that Volker Lendecke got it
working but no description of how it was done. Another post talked about
it only worked using tdbsam and not ldapsam but also no solution.

Joining windows XP, NT4, etc. machines to the domain works, so the setup
can't be all that wrong I suppose.

Does anyone have a clue of what's going on here. NetApp states it does
not support Samba PDC's but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work
so I hope at least.

Help is more than greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rob