Fwd: [Samba] Samba memory usage - how big is it?

Thu Nov 13 15:05:56 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 03:49:51PM +0100, Mike Gallamore wrote:
> Sorry forgot to include the list.
> >From: Mike Gallamore <mike at mpi-cbg.de>
> >Date: November 13, 2008 3:49:21 PM GMT+01:00
> >To: Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
> >Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba memory usage - how big is it?
> >
> >I didn't include the whole output which would be about a page. Yeah
> >it is just a total of the columns. There is commands for excluding
> >shared memory regions, "anonymously allocated" parts etc.

If the 29632k include shared memory regions, then you can
not really count them for each and every smbd. That's the
whole point of sharing, at least in my understanding: Memory
shared between processes should only use pysical resources
once. So saying that every smbd uses 29MB real memory
overstates it a bit I think.

Volker