[Samba] Samba memory usage - how big is it?

Mike Gallamore mike at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Nov 13 13:29:38 GMT 2008

Similar on Solaris, they have a built in utility called pmap:

pmap <pid> gives output just about total virtual memory, ex:
FF3F6000       8K rwx--  /lib/ld.so.1
FF3FA000       8K rwxs-    [ anon ]
FFBE0000     128K rwx--    [ stack ]
  total     29632K

pmap -x <pid> gives extended info ex:
FF3F6000       8       8       8       - rwx--  ld.so.1
FF3FA000       8       8       -       - rwxs-    [ anon ]
FFBE0000     128     128      64       - rwx--    [ stack ]
total Kb   29632   26088    1584       -

We are currently running Samba 3.2.4 on our system. I can't remember
what our memory footprint was before we upgraded from 3.0.24. That
said, with the amount of RAM on our system we don't get more than 70%
RAM use at any time, even while driving 2 tape robots and 30
filesystem/raid arrays from the box.