[Samba] Samba memory usage - how big is it?

Thu Nov 13 12:44:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:34:28PM +0100, Mike Gallamore wrote:
> How large is large for a smbd process? Does it just use what is
> available or what? My fileserver at work (32 core sparc T2, with 32GB
> RAM) currently has 117 smbd processes running each with 29M total, 24M
> resident. It looks like my servers processes are more than twice the
> size as these ones for some reason. Is it just architecture
> difference, or does samba allocate more space to a process if it has
> room for it?

Good question. The size of smbd very much depends on what
the client is actually doing. For example, listing users
from a DC makes us cache the user list under certain
circumstances. On Linux those 5MB RES are what I would
expect. With Samba 3.2 I would expect less, we have done a
lot of work to reduce the memory footprint for 3.2. 24MB
resident is certainly very much, although reading the output
of top sometimes is more of black art than anything else.
Under Linux, /proc/<pid>/smaps is VERY helpful, not sure if
Solaris provides a similar feature.

Volker