[Samba] Problems mixing public / private shares on windows

Mike Gallamore mike at mpi-cbg.de
Mon Nov 3 17:12:22 GMT 2008

In my experience you are correct. Windows seems to treat
authentication as a per server bases. Once you've logged in as one
user it will try to use that users credentials for the next share from
that server. I haven't figured out a workaround but it would be great
if someone knows one. Sometimes Windows doesn't even show that you are
connected to a share and the client has to be rebooted before you'll
get the login prompt again to pick a different login name from what
I've seen. Definitely not ideal behavior.