[Samba] Problems mixing public / private shares on windows

Michal Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Mon Nov 3 16:28:50 GMT 2008

Hi guys, I'm trying to have some shares available for everyone and some
other only available to authenticated users, here's an excerpt from my
config file:

> [global]
>    workgroup = WORKGROUP
>    server string = Server
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 50
>    guest account = nobody
>    map to guest = bad user
>    security = user
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>    local master = no
>    domain master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    dns proxy = no
>    dos charset = 852
>    unix charset = UTF-8
>
> [mnt]
> 	path = /mnt/%U
> 	public = no
> 	write list = %U
> 	valid users = @group

It's all fine when I use smbclient or nautilus through gvfs - when I try to access anonymous shares,
it opens without a password prompt, when I try to access the 'mnt' share it asks for a username / password
and opens the correct /mnt/username dir.

On windows, however, I can't access the authenticated share - windows says that 'You might not have access to the share'
and that 'You can't use different users to access different shares' - maybe that's a problem?

What am I doing wrong? Or is it impossible to do like that?

--
Michal Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>