[Samba] mac still wont follow symbolic link

Marc Fromm Marc.Fromm at wwu.edu
Mon Nov 3 16:16:51 GMT 2008

I have received a few responses to the problem I am facing with some Mac OS 10.5.5 computers not being able to follow the symbolic link to the /var/www directory on a red hat 5.2 el server. The Mac computers can follow any other symbolic link, even to directories inside the /var/www directory. The Mac computers just can't seem to follow a symbolic link to /var/www directory. PC/windows computers can follow the symbolic link to the /vaw/www directory.

These same Mac computers can follow a symbolic link to the /var/www on our fedora core 5 server. On both servers, the red hat and fedora core 5, the smb.conf file has no entry for "unix extensions = no" thus both are using the default "unix extensions = yes"

Why can't these Mac OS 10.5.5 computers follow the symbolic link to the /var/www directory when windows machines can, and why CAN these Mac computers follow symbolic links to directories inside the /var/www/ directory?

Thanks

Marc