[Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:17:44 GMT 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 5/28/2008, Scott Lovenberg (scott.lovenberg at gmail.com) wrote:
>> Also, I've found that roaming profiles seem to choke when you've got
>> lots of very small files.  Those files are usually in local settings
>> under the profile, but not always.
>
> Roaming Profiles do NOT contain *anything* in the 'Local Settings'
> folder. Thats why it is called LOCAL settings.
>
> I think he has a DNS issue or something else going on...

Yeah, I originally wrote in (and later deleted for the sake of clarity)
that I used to carry around my local settings folder.  I had a dozen
computers with the same software, and I hated my settings being changed
every time I jumped on another computer (I naively thought that was the
whole point of roaming profiles, hah!).  Needless to say, it was less
than optimal and didn't much work.  And, now Gmail has IMAP, so I don't
have to carry around my email store. = )

DNS was my kneejerk reaction, too, but I thought that it would be good
to mention small files which may or may not be in local settings.

Another thought that just occurred, there seems to be a significant
speed difference when the Web Client service is turned off.  Many thanks
to John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij for this tip in TOSHARG (the book
is worth its weight in gold, and it isn't light!).  With the Web Client
service on, it almost feels like you've got a bit of browsing issue.