[Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

Wed May 28 15:31:42 GMT 2008

On 5/28/2008, Scott Lovenberg (scott.lovenberg at gmail.com) wrote:
> Yeah, I originally wrote in (and later deleted for the sake of
> clarity) that I used to carry around my local settings folder.  I had
> a dozen computers with the same software, and I hated my settings
> being changed every time I jumped on another computer (I naively
> thought that was the whole point of roaming profiles, hah!).
> Needless to say, it was less than optimal and didn't much work.  And,
> now Gmail has IMAP, so I don't have to carry around my email store. =
> )

Outlook and OE are the only two brain-dead programs that I know that put
critical data in the Local Settings folder by default.

I've used IMAP the last 6 years or so, so this is a non-issue for me.

> DNS was my kneejerk reaction, too, but I thought that it would be
> good to mention small files which may or may not be in local
> settings.
>
> Another thought that just occurred, there seems to be a significant
> speed difference when the Web Client service is turned off.  Many
> thanks to John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij for this tip in TOSHARG
> (the book is worth its weight in gold, and it isn't light!).  With
> the Web Client service on, it almost feels like you've got a bit of
> browsing issue. --

Interesting - just checked, and googled on that service, and it does
appear to be useless. I disabled it to see if I notice any difference -
not that I was having any problems...

Network browins does seem a *little* snappier - hard to tell, though,
since I never complained about it before...

--

Best regards,

Charles