[Samba] ads + "password server" not set = what behavior?

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Fri May 16 23:16:08 GMT 2008

I have Samba running as a domain member server and security=ads. What
is Samba's behavior when "password server" is not set? The man page
describes the behavior when it's set to "*" or to a list of hosts. But
it is silent on the matter of "password server" not being set.

>From the way the system has been working, I would assume that it's the
same as "*", that is, it attempts to auto-locate domain controllers.
But I hate to assume.

Josh