[Samba] Server 2003 Domain Controller Search w/ Workgroup Setup

Matt Klein mattklein123 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 17:05:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

I hope someone might understand the problem I am seeing. I will simplify the
setup that I have which reproduces the problem:

1) Computer 1 is running Server 2003 with 2 NICS. One is a "WAN" link with IP
address 192.168.1.12. It has a "private" link with IP 10.0.0.12.

2) Computer 2 is running Centos OS 5.1 with 2 NICS. "WAN" is at
192.168.1.11, "private" is at 10.0.0.11.

3) The "WAN" links are connected via a switch/router while the private links
are connected via a null ethernet cable.

4) CentOS 5.1 is running a very basic guest access Samba share.

Here is smb.conf:

[global]

        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = repl1

        interfaces = eth1 10.0.0.11

        guest account = hacluster
        security = share

        local master = no
        preferred master = no

        wins support = no
        wins proxy = no
        dns proxy = no

[Content]
        path = /mnt/content
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

Here is the problem:

I am seeing a roughly 3-5 second daily on initial connection to the Samba
share. If I repeat quickly there is no delay.

I have used Wireshark to look at a capture on the private link. It appears that
the Server 2003 machine is doing a NBNS query for a domain controller for
WORKGROUP. It seems to wait several seconds before timeing out and then just
connecting directly.

The normal NBNS query where 2003 looks for Repl1 (CentOS) works fine. The
response immediately comes back as 10.0.0.11.

I have tried many permutations and I can't seem to figure how to stop 2003 from
trying to find a domain controller in this very simple configuration.

Any help would be appreciated here. I'm not sure if this is a 2003
configuration problem or a Samba configuration problem.

Thanks,
Matt