[Samba] [Fwd: File Locking and Permissions Issue]

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu May 15 06:43:52 GMT 2008

Jack Lauman wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I compared the open files with one computer in Lacerte vs. two
> computers in Lacerte and noticed one thing peculiar: when one computer
> is using Lacerte, all files are opened with exclusive+batch oplocks
> including Data1i07.dbf, however when 2 computers are running Lacerte, a
> few files open without oplocks, notably data1i07.dbf.

I'm assuming that both users need to write to these files? Maybe I'm
missing something but this seems to be entirely expected behaviour.
Oplocks allow a client to cache data rather than having to constantly
sync to the server, obviously if there is more than one client doing
this things break.

You could use fake oplocks to grant oplocks to all clients, but unless
the application is designed for it (which I doubt it is) you will just
wind up corrupting your data.

If the application is regularly opening and closing files (and therefore
possibly being granted oplocks and then having them broken) you might
find that performance improves by disabling oplocks altogether (well,
performance for multiple users, performance for a single user would suffer).
> <snip> I've attached both files to this message.  Any help in
> resolving this
> matter would be greatly appreciated.

I think the list strips non-text attachments, so no excel file. Not that
I think it's terribly important since it sounds like your system is
working exactly as it should.
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Lauman

*Michael Heydon - IT Administratorr *