[Samba] [Fwd: File Locking and Permissions Issue]

Thu May 15 06:36:34 GMT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:30:54PM -0700, Jack Lauman wrote:
> I'm trying to get Lacerte 2007 Tax Accounting software working on a
> Samba v3.0.28a based server.  When one user is logged in it works fine.
>   When two or more users are accessing the database files it slows to a
> crawl.

But it still does work?

> I compared the open files with one computer in Lacerte vs. two
> computers in Lacerte and noticed one thing peculiar: when one computer
> is using Lacerte, all files are opened with exclusive+batch oplocks
> including Data1i07.dbf, however when 2 computers are running Lacerte, a
> few files open without oplocks, notably data1i07.dbf.  I have also

That's expected. Oplocks with r/w are only possible for
exclusive access.

I've had a customer experiencing exactly the same issue that
you have. Different application, but it was used against
Samba in production and it was terribly slow. They tested it
against Windows -- it was fast. It turned out that against
Samba they had several concurrent users and the test against
Windows only had one user. Just the simple operation of
copying the file away from the Windows server while the test
on Windows was running made the app show exactly the same
behaviour against Windows as it formerly had against Samba:
It was almost unusably slow because its oplock had been
broken.

I'm not saying that Samba is bug-free here, but what you are
describing really smells like a horrendously badly written
Windows application that has never been really tested with
multi-user access.

Volker