[Samba] [Fwd: File Locking and Permissions Issue]

Jack Lauman jlauman at nwcascades.com
Wed May 14 22:30:54 GMT 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: File Locking and Permissions Issue
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:10:28 -0700
From: Jack Lauman <jlauman at nwcascades.com>
To: mailto:samba at lists.samba.org

I'm trying to get Lacerte 2007 Tax Accounting software working on a
Samba v3.0.28a based server.  When one user is logged in it works fine.
   When two or more users are accessing the database files it slows to a
crawl.

Lacerte's tech support personnel set up an identical scenereo in their
lab.  Here's what the found:

<quote>
I compared the open files with one computer in Lacerte vs. two
computers in Lacerte and noticed one thing peculiar: when one computer
is using Lacerte, all files are opened with exclusive+batch oplocks
including Data1i07.dbf, however when 2 computers are running Lacerte, a
few files open without oplocks, notably data1i07.dbf.  I have also
attached a copy of my smbstatus output (put into an Excel spreadsheet,
computer 1 highlighted in yellow, computer 2 in blue.)  This seems to be
the same way it was working on your server.

One more thing to note - I was logged in as the same user on both
workstations - if you can try that configuration and it works, that
might clue us in to some kind of permissions issue.
</quote>

I've attached both files to this message.  Any help in resolving this
matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Lauman