[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Fri May 2 19:25:55 GMT 2008

The problem is solved.

My grateful thanks to Guenter Kukkukk and Am Mittwoch who so diligently
tried to help with this vexing problem.

Well it was the usual dumb thing so I have egg on my face.

I did this and thought I was done:
----------------------------------
Setup the allowed settings for any nic:
         open Network Connections
         click Properties
         click Realtek nic
         check Client for Microsoft Networking
         check File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
         check Internet Protocol tcp/ip

But I didn't do this until last night:
--------------------------------------
Setup the allowed settings for each nic:
         open  Network Connections
         click Advanced tab
         click Advanced Settings tab
         slct  Realtek nic
         check File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
         check Internet Protocol tcp/ip
         check Client for Microsoft Networks
         check Internet Protocol tcp/ip

Why you have to do this twice in Network Connections is beyond me
and the second thing is really well hidden.

However, now winpro appears in Network Neighborhood or LinNeighborhood
on all computer and also in My Network Places on winpro.

In addition I can now connect to shares on winpro from any other machine.

Samba and I are very happy together!

Larry