[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Thu May 1 19:14:37 GMT 2008

Guenter Kukkukk wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 30. April 2008 schrieb Larry Alkoff:
>> Guenter Kukkukk wrote:

>>> Have a look here how netbios names are registered and
>>> what kind of resource type is used - the <00> or <1E>
>>> in your output.
>>> http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/691e1e3f-0ac1-45a2-b19a-cf7ef25ade4b1033.mspx?mfr=true
>>>
>>> Your windows box has not registered the name WINPRO<20>,
>>> so it seems to me, that the peer/server service is not
>>> running ...
>>> Btw, 'nmblookup -S winpro' (done on your samba box) should also
>>> list the registered names.
>>>
>>> Inside a windows cmdline console, does 'net share' list your
>>> exports? 'net statistics server' should also list some info.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Günter
>>>
>> Hello Günter
>>
>> I'm not sure what to make of the url you sent me
>> but here is the results of all the tests you suggested.
>>
>> BTW, not only does winpro not show in Linneighborhood
>> but it doesn't show in Network Neighborhood on a Win 98 box.
>>
>> root at kinda samba # nmblookup -S winpro
>> --------------------------------------
>> querying winpro on 10.22.44.255
>> 10.22.44.11 winpro<00>
>> Looking up status of 10.22.44.11
>>          WINPRO          <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
>>          LANET           <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>>          LANET           <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>>
>>          MAC Address = 00-16-17-EE-F4-F8
>>
>> c:\net shareShare
>> -----------------
>>
>> name   Resource                        Remark
>> print$       C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
>>                                               Printer Drivers
>> C$           C:\                             Default share
>> ADMIN$       C:\WINDOWS                      Remote Admin
>> IPC$                                         Remote IPC
>> C            C:\
>> lba          C:\Documents and Settings\lba
>> SharedDocs   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>>
>> Printer      LPT1:                  Spooled  HP DeskJet 500
>> The command completed successfully.
>>

>> c:\net statistics server
>> ------------------------
>> Server Statistics for \\WINPRO
>>
>> Statistics since 4/29/2008 12:43 PM
>>
>> Sessions accepted                  1
>> Sessions timed-out                 0
>> Sessions errored-out               0
>>
>> Kilobytes sent                     0
>> Kilobytes received                 0
>>
>> Mean response time (msec)          0
>>
>> System errors                      0
>> Permission violations              0
>> Password violations                0
>>
>> Files accessed                     0
>> Communication devices accessed     0
>> Print jobs spooled                 0
>>
>> Times buffers exhausted
>>
>>    Big buffers                      0
>>    Request buffers                  0
>>
>> The command completed successfully.
>>
>> c:\net statistics workstation
>> ------------------------------
>> Workstation Statistics for \\WINPRO
>>
>> Statistics since 4/29/2008 12:43 PM
>>
>>    Bytes received                               1055805
> [...]

Thanks very much for your efforts to help, Günter.

Both "Server" and "Computer Browser" appear to be running in Services.
Nothing else strikes me as out of line.

After doing many tests and seeing that winpro can connect to any other
share, I agree that this one is not samba related.

I will browse and see if there are any windows XP irc channels.

My fallback plan is to backup my important files to a thumb drive,
format and reinstall WXP, reload programs and tweak it.

Larry