[Samba] ldapsam_modify_entry: LDAP Password could not be changed for user michael: Confidentiality required

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Mar 25 08:01:37 GMT 2008

Hi all,

To compound my problems, I am now unable to change the password on the
problem user. The following error message is displayed.

[root at gatekeeper samba]# smbpasswd michael
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_modify_entry: LDAP Password could not be changed for user
michael: Confidentiality required
         Operation requires a secure connection.

Failed to modify entry for user michael.
Failed to modify password entry for user michael

No clue is given as to whether samba is giving this error, or whether
the idealx tools are giving this error.

Neither samba, nor idealx are configured to use TLS to talk to the LDAP
server, and the LDAP server doesn't require TLS.

I cannot find any obvious trace of a logfile entry that might reveal a
solution to the mystery of why the password cannot be changed.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Graham