[Samba] VPN server and logon to Samba PDC

Jon Theil Nielsen jontheil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:30:31 GMT 2008

2008/3/17, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

> Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> > 2008/3/17, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
>
> > <mailto:drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>>:
>

> >     Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> >      > My goal is to make VPN access to our Samba PDC (FreeBSD 7.0) so
> >     that users
> >      > can access there home shares from Windows clients.
> >      > I have read the instructions at
> >      > http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/lorikeet/pppd/final-report.pdf, but
> >     I can't
> >      > make it work.
> >
> >     <snip>
> >      > Regards,
> >      > Jon
> >
> >     Jon,
> >
> >             I do it this way:
> >
> >     pptp VPN server
> >

> >     /etc/pptpd.conf
> >     option /etc/ppp/options.pptp
> >
> >     debug (comment out after testing)
>
> >     localip 192.168.7.12 <http://192.168.7.12>
>
> >     remoteip 192.168.7.2-5
> >     pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
> >
> >     /etc/ppp/options.pptp
> >     lock
> >     noauth
> >     nobsdcomp
> >     lcp-echo-failure 10
> >     lcp-echo-interval 10
> >
> >     /etc/ppp/options
>
> >     name bonza.rbpllc.com <http://bonza.rbpllc.com>
>
> >     noipdefault
> >     noauth
> >     lock
> >     local
> >     lcp-echo-interval 30
> >     lcp-echo-failure 4
> >     lcp-max-configure 60
> >     lcp-restart 2
> >     idle 600
> >     noipx
> >     file /etc/ppp/filters
> >     proxyarp
>
> >     ms-dns 192.168.7.15 <http://192.168.7.15>
> >     ms-wins 192.168.7.15 <http://192.168.7.15>
>
> >     refuse-chap
> >     refuse-mschap
> >
> >     /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>
> >     *       bonza.rbpllc.com <http://bonza.rbpllc.com>        ""
> >     <username>   <yourserver.yourdomain.com
> >     <http://yourserver.yourdomain.com>>   <password>  *
>

> >     /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
> >     <username>           *               <password>          *
> >
> >             Of course, use your own information and get rid of the "< >"
> >     in the pap
> >     and chap-secret files. Good luck. This works like a charm. Just
> don't
> >     forget to open [port 1723] in your firewall and router for accessing
> the
> >     server locally as well as remotely. Also, you may need:
> >
> >     # TAG: bcrelay <if>
> >     bcrelay eth0
> >
> >     in /etc/pptpd.conf if you are running an older version of pptpd to
> >     improve remote browsing.
> >
> > Thanks, David
> > Just a few questions before I try this solution.
> > Are you on FreeBSD too? As far as I understand, the main configuration
> > file here is /usr/local/etc/pptpd.conf. Or should it live in /etc/?
> [...]
Hi again,

Sure, it does read it from /usr/local/etc. I can see that from the
consequeces of changing it there. But as I stated in a previous message it
doesn't work. I'm sure it has something to do with the setup of ppp on
FreeBSD.
With respectively without the existence of /etc/ppp/ppp.conf the log says:

ppp[67205]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
connection: Configuration label not found

and

ppp[67267]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
connection: /etc/ppp/ppp.conf : File not found

I'm a bit lost here. I might have to ask some FreeBSD experts. Naturally, I
have been googling on the issue, but haven't yet seen any usefull hints.
Thanks for the help anyway!

Regards,
Jon