[Samba] VPN server and logon to Samba PDC

Jon Theil Nielsen jontheil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:08:37 GMT 2008

2008/3/17, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

> Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> > My goal is to make VPN access to our Samba PDC (FreeBSD 7.0) so that
> users
> > can access there home shares from Windows clients.
> > I have read the instructions at
> > http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/lorikeet/pppd/final-report.pdf, but I
> can't
> > make it work.
>
> <snip>
> > Regards,
> > Jon
>
> Jon,
>
>         I do it this way:
>
> pptp VPN server
>

> /etc/pptpd.conf
> option /etc/ppp/options.pptp
>
> debug (comment out after testing)
> localip 192.168.7.12
> remoteip 192.168.7.2-5
> pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
>
> /etc/ppp/options.pptp
> lock
> noauth
> nobsdcomp
> lcp-echo-failure 10
> lcp-echo-interval 10
>
> /etc/ppp/options
> name bonza.rbpllc.com
> noipdefault
> noauth
> lock
> local
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4
> lcp-max-configure 60
> lcp-restart 2
> idle 600
> noipx
> file /etc/ppp/filters
> proxyarp
> ms-dns 192.168.7.15
> ms-wins 192.168.7.15
> refuse-chap
> refuse-mschap
>
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> *       bonza.rbpllc.com        ""
> <username>   <yourserver.yourdomain.com>   <password>  *
>
> /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
> <username>           *               <password>          *
>
>         Of course, use your own information and get rid of the "< >" in
> the pap
> and chap-secret files. Good luck. This works like a charm. Just don't
> forget to open [port 1723] in your firewall and router for accessing the
> server locally as well as remotely. Also, you may need:
>
> # TAG: bcrelay <if>
> bcrelay eth0
>
> in /etc/pptpd.conf if you are running an older version of pptpd to
> improve remote browsing.

Hi again,

Tried  the proposed configurataion. The first time my log said:

ppp[67205]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
connection: Configuration label not found

Then I thought that I maybe didn't needed the old /etc/ppp.conf, so I moved
that away. Now the result was:

ppp[67267]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
connection: /etc/ppp/ppp.conf : File not found
ppp[67205]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
connection: Configuration label not found

To me it is a bit confusing which files pptpd on FreeBSD uses. Do you have a
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf and if so, what does it contain?

Regards,
Jon