[Samba] I still don't understand it-- what is the relation between cause and effect?

joop gerritse jjge at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 9 17:26:29 GMT 2008

I have posted more messages, essentially to the same effect... had quite a few
good answers, but somehow I seem to be missing something ... :-(

Well, I told you already about the workgroup DAARO, which refused to show
up... I got some suggestions, and, indeed, there it was! I could even log in
to it.

And then, next morning, I started up my test network, ... no DAARO. However,
after a restart of samba (/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart) it appeared again.
Without any changes in teh config. However, although I saw DAARO, clicking on
it gave me an error message (something like "device does not exist" in
Dutch). On the other hand, after restarting samba again, still without any
changes, I could suddenly log in to the domain.

Well, this is not the clear relation between cause and effect which I prefer.
Of course it is unavoidable once you get involved in a Microsoft mess... .

I think it is time to become somewhat more fundamental(ist). I mean, if I ever
want to find out what's going on, I will probably have to understand what
these lousy sloppy Microsoft protocols really do. And of course, being closed
source, this won't be trivial.

Can anyone point out some documents that give information on the internals of
MS networking protocols? I think there are some around, but I haven't located
them yet...

--
J.J. Gerritse
Mühlenstraße 11