[Samba] smbfs failed to preserve ownership when cp files

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:16:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right group/list for  this type of help, so I
appologize if it isn't, and ask if you can please direct me to the right
place.

I am trying to mount a NAS Samba share to my RHEL 4 machine to run backups
and am running into some slight issues / error msgs with it.  I am not sure
what samba version the NAS is running, however.  It is a Maxtor Shared
Storage device, with no additional info about it.  All I know is that the
firmware is from 2006-02-01, so it is definitely based on a samba version
that is older than that.

I am able to mount my NAS folder without a problem, and mostly able to use
it, however, whenever I use the cp -p flag or the rsync -gpo flag, I get
warning/error msgs  regarding inability to set permissions and/or ownership
of the files.  For example from the RHEL4 machine:

# /sbin/modinfo smbfs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.9-34.ELsmp/kernel/fs/smbfs/smbfs.ko
license:        GPL
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.9-34.ELsmp SMP gcc-3.4

# mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.1/backup /mount/smbfs -o
username=eric,password=eric

# cp -a /home/eric/deploy /mount/smbfs
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh~': Permission
denied
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh': Operation not
permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/deploy-dev': Operation not
permitted

I also get the same error msgs if I try rsync instead:
# rsync -a /home/eric/deploy
rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy" failed: Operation not permitted
(1)
rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh.TDQedW" failed:
Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh~.KZ1wck" failed:
Permission denied (13)
rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.deploy-dev.KweNfI" failed:
Operation not permitted (1)

I am not sure if this is a general issue with samba (although it would
greatly surprise me), my nas, or the way I am mounting the share.  I have
tried to specific a uid and guid in the mount command, but it has not made
any difference.

Is there something special I need to do to be able to use cp -a and rsync -a
flags without any of these error/warning messages?  I realize that I am not
running the latest kernel on this machine; it is a production server, that I
cannot really reboot on a whim.

Thanks!

Eric