[Samba] CENTOS4.6+SAMBA3.0.25+FEDORA-DS

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 01:55:50 GMT 2008

Suphakit wrote:
> Thank you Mr.William, as you know I am a linux beginner ,meaning that I
> am not familiar with technical terms that's why I can't get myself
> understand the "howto" stuffs. The posted question is a myth to me which
> I couldn't extract of out of  many instruction found from website. I'll
> be appreciate if you guys can just give a simple answer to my questions
> ,just "yes" or "no" and simple explanation. So that I can expand reading
> "HowTo" .
> Thank you and Best Regards,
> Tom

Tom,
As for item 1: This is possible, however, CentOS-4.6 ships with
samba-3.0.12(ish... it's an older build with Red Hat's blessed patches),
for a Samba 3.0.25, you'll want to use CentOS-5.1, I believe.  You can
use a never samba than the shipped version, but as a Linux newbie, I
wouldn't recommend it unless you feel very comfortable at a command
line.  I've had a good deal of trouble with Fedora-DS, but I was
building from source, YMMV.  I'm sure it's a great software package, but
I had to fight with it a bit.

On a side note, are you locked in to using CentOS and Fedora DS, and
having separate authentication, or can you "take baby steps" using the
builtin password and user files?  You are taking on a great amount of
work and introducing yourself to a very steep learning curve with your
proposed setup.  And, being new to Linux at the same time will only
compound this.  I'm not trying to discourage you, quite the contrary, I
just think that trying to get right up to this level of server and
service sophistication might leave you with a very long uphill battle
ahead if you choose to take it head on like this.