[Samba] Hostname not visible across 2 subnets

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Jun 23 00:14:56 GMT 2008

L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is not samba but routing info you need.
>

> if possible to add a second lan ip on the Wireless router,
> add ip 10.0.0.99 for example.
>
> then router has access to modem, and client2 is able to connect to wireless
> modem.
>
> Louis

This isn't quite right, he said that he could ping admin from client2 by
ip but not by name which means he does have routing up and running
between the two networks but no name resolution on the second network.

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following network:
>>
>> ----------
>> |Internet|
>> ----------
>> --------------------                  ---------------------
>> |Wireless Modem |- ))----((- |'admin' on DHCP |
>> | on 10.0.0.*       |        |       ---------------------
>> --------------------          |     ----------------------
>>   |                                 -(( |'client1' on DHCP |
>>   |wired                              ----------------------
>> --------------------
>> |Wireless Router  |                ----------------------
>> | on 192.168.0.* |- ))----((- |'client2' on DHCP |
>> --------------------                   ----------------------
>>
>> I hope the above diagram is not TOO mangles...
>>
>> For example, if 'admin' has been allocated the ip 10.0.0.6.
>>
>> I can ping 10.0.0.6 from both 'client1' and 'client2'
>> I can ping 'admin' from 'client1' but 'client2' says 'could
>> not find host'
>>
>> In other words, the hostname 'admin' only gets resolved on the
>> 10.0.0.* subnet.

The fact that you have any name resolution at all using ping means you
already have a functioning DNS server (assuming the machine isn't in a
hosts file somewhere).
>> Any computer on the 192.168.0.* subnet can 'see' 'admin's' ip, but not
>> the hostname 'admin'.
>> The Admin computer is running Ubuntu Hardy, The Clients are
>> running XP.
>>
>> Can I remedy this through Samba with WINS? Or do I need to set
>> up a DNS on the
>> 'admin' machine?
>> Simplest option, of course would be set set up 'admin' as a static ip
A static IP wouldn't actually solve the problem unless you then go put
it in each client's hosts file (which gets annoying quite quickly). If
you only want samba too work and don't care about being able to
ping/ssh/telnet/http to a name then WINS will be fine. If you want an
all round solution you need DNS. The upside is that you already have DNS
(as mentioned above) so you can point client2 at the DNS server on the
admin network, you might be able to set the DHCP server on the client2
network to do this automatically.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>