[Samba] Question about samba domains PDC migration and browsing slowly

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Sun Jun 8 19:18:45 GMT 2008

man smb.conf

      preferred master (G)

           This boolean parameter controls if nmbd(8) is a preferred master
           browser for its workgroup.

           If this is set to yes, on startup, nmbd will force an
election, and
           it will have a slight advantage in winning the election. It is
           recommended that this parameter is used in conjunction with
domain
           master = yes, so that nmbd can guarantee becoming a domain
master.

           Use this option with caution, because if there are several hosts
           (whether Samba servers, Windows 95 or NT) that are preferred
master
           browsers on the same subnet, they will each periodically and
           continuously attempt to become the local master browser. This
will
           result in unnecessary broadcast traffic and reduced browsing
           capabilities.

           Default: preferred master = auto