[Samba] lazy samba server?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:15:49 GMT 2008

> Hi John,
> when you say wins, do you mean the lmhosts file?
No. If you set the PDC to be a wins server then add this ip as the
wins server in every windows client the windows machines will find the
domain controller.

But that should work. Have you added the proper format of a domain controller?

Here is a very old example I dug up on how we did this years ago:

10.116.15.13      RADIMGDC0          #PRE #DOM:RADIMG
10.116.15.13      "RADIMG         \0x1B" #PRE

So RADIMGDC0 was the PDC on the RADIMG DOMAIN. The "" part has to be
exactly 20 characters.

> I edited that file on some of the windows machines to list both servers (PDC
> and file server) but it didn't solve my problems.
> The other windows machines, which don't have this lmhosts file, I guess they
> use dns to find the servers?
Not unless you added the needed _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs entries in your
dns server.

>If it can be something else, how do I find out for sure?

Go to the windows client and look at the event viewer. You will see errors.

John