[Samba] lazy samba server?

George He georgehe2007 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 21:08:15 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi John,
> > when you say wins, do you mean the lmhosts file?
> No. If you set the PDC to be a wins server then add this ip as the
> wins server in every windows client the windows machines will find the
> domain controller.
>
> But that should work. Have you added the proper format of a domain
> controller?
>
> Here is a very old example I dug up on how we did this years ago:
>
> 10.116.15.13      RADIMGDC0          #PRE #DOM:RADIMG
> 10.116.15.13      "RADIMG         \0x1B" #PRE
>
> So RADIMGDC0 was the PDC on the RADIMG DOMAIN. The "" part has to be
> exactly 20 characters.

sorry John I wasn't clear. When I say lmhosts files, I meant the lmhosts
files on the windows clients.
The two sample lines you put above do look like what I put in my lmhosts
file, except that I don't understand the "exactly 20 characters" part.
Since the sample file lmhosts.sam in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc doesn't
say this, I just listed the two servers I have in this file like this:

1.1.1.1 linux1 #PRE #DOM:MYDOM # this is my PDC
2.2.2.2 linux2 #PRE #DOM:MYDON # this is my file server

Is it possible the "exactly 20 characters" rule was good only years ago?

> > I edited that file on some of the windows machines to list both servers
> (PDC
> > and file server) but it didn't solve my problems.
> > The other windows machines, which don't have this lmhosts file, I guess
> they
> > use dns to find the servers?
> Not unless you added the needed _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs entries in your
> dns server.

Then how come the other windows clients that don't this lmhosts file can
work properly?
I have no access to the dns server.

> >If it can be something else, how do I find out for sure?
>
> Go to the windows client and look at the event viewer. You will see errors.
>
> John

The event viewer listed some "roaming profile not found" errors, "local
profile not found" errors, and some Autoenrollment errors (ID 15).
There is basically no help on "windows help and support" on the last 2
errors.
The help on the roaming profile error was old (2004, last update 2007), and
it says "this is fixed in sp2", but we have updated to sp3, yet stilll get
this error, so it's confusing.
There is a hotfix on the MS support page, do you think it worth a try?

Thanks
George