[Samba] Problem with Login Shell in User Information using Winbind

Philipoff, Andrew aphilipoff at medicine.ucsf.edu
Thu Jun 5 02:36:10 GMT 2008

Edit your smb.conf and restart smbd:
Change:
	template shell = /bin/false
To:
	template shell = /bin/bash

Be careful in enabling this as it will potentially allow all domain users to login with a shell. We add the following to /etc/pam.d/sshd to restrict ssh shell access to specific AD and local groups (substitute your AD or local group for group_name):
account    sufficient   pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup group_name

You'll need to restart sshd after editing /etc/pam.d/sshd. Note that you'll also need to add any local users/groups that need ssh access. I found how to do this here:
http://blogs.sun.com/tkblog/entry/integrating_linux_with_active_directory
http://linux.die.net/man/8/pam_succeed_if
You could also add AD users to a local group and use it in /etc/pam.d/sshd instead of an AD group.

Andrew Philipoff
Information Systems
Department of Medicine, UCSF