[Samba] os x to samba authentication failure on share level

TN tnuro at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 2 07:14:37 GMT 2008

I'm a newbie to this list, as I've hit a problem I cannot solve by
googling around.

I have a debian server which is setup for share level security, most of
which are public. A couple of the shares are using user= to secure to
only certain users, and users connect from xp/vista & os x
I recently upgraded to samba 3.0.28a and all of a sudden the os x users
are failing to authenticate to those secured shares - the non secured
shares they can access fine. XP & Vista users can authenticate fine.
If I change to user level security, then os x users can authenticate to
those shares, but of course the other non-secured shares are
inaccessible since they have no users to authenticate with.

The failure occurs for both tiger & leopard users.
What's changed ?

Another query - if I make samba only allow ntlmv2 authentication, does
this deny the use of share level security ?

cheers