[Samba] PDC cannot become master browser; cannot change passwords

Kevin DeGraaf kevin-samba at kdegraaf.net
Thu Jul 31 14:20:58 GMT 2008

I am having two problems, possibly related, while performing
pre-deployment testing of a Samba/OpenLDAP PDC with data that was
vampired from an NT4 PDC.  The Samba server fails to become a local
master browser, and password change attempts (from a Windows client) fail.

I followed Samba-Guide/ntmigration.html (taking some liberties with
various items of configuration), ending with step #19.  No problems were
encountered.

I isolated the server and a client on a separate network, promoted Samba
to a PDC (step #21), and started the Samba daemons.

On the closed network are the following machines:

Software: Debian Etch, Samba 3.0.24
NetBIOS: SPACETIME
Address: 192.168.1.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: none

Software: Windows XP Professional
NetBIOS: ICE-LT021
Address: 192.168.1.50
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: none
DNS: 192.168.1.2
WINS: 192.168.1.2

Here are my config files and logs:
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/smb.conf
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/slapd.conf
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/log.smbd
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/log.nmbd
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/log.192.168.1.50
   http://kdegraaf.net/samba-wtf/log.ice-lt021

The server is running dnscache on 192.168.1.2 and tinydns on 127.0.0.1.
  The client can ping the server by hostname, indicating that DNS and
basic TCP/IP are in working order.  The client can successfully join the
domain and log in.

Problem #1:

register_name_response: server at IP 192.168.1.50 rejected our name
registration of INTERCLEAN<1d> IP 192.168.1.2 with error code 6.

become_local_master_fail2: failed to register name INTERCLEAN<1d> on
subnet 192.168.1.2. Failed to become a local master browser.

unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
INTERCLEAN on subnet 192.168.1.2

Seriously?  Clients can tell servers to stop being servers?  Imagine:

Internet Explorer: Please stop being a Web server.
Apache: I'm sorry, my bad.  *unbinds from port 80 and shuts down*

Problem #2:

I attempted to change my password from the Windows workstation.  The
request hung for 35 seconds and then I received an error: "The system
cannot change your password now because the domain INTERCLEAN is not
available."

This happened immediately after logging into the domain (and that
workstation's cached credential count is set to zero).

Per my Google search results, I ensured that the server was resolvable
and pingable, and that the client's WINS server address was configured
correctly, and that 'nbtstat -c' didn't show any incorrect cached entries.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Kevin DeGraaf