[Samba] Sharing Printer Stop Working: error writing spool : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 02:41:19 GMT 2008

Previously I have a working print server using samba with below setting:

[global]
  printcap name = cups
  printing = cups
  security = share
[printers]
  browseable = yes
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  create mode = 0700
  guest only = yes
  use client driver = yes
  guest account = smbprint
  path = /home/smbprint

I could print both from linux and windows XP.

But recently (Samba 3.0.22), it stopped working, both linux and
windows XP. The message in the linux client computer is:

Ready: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

When I set the log to debug level, I could see the actual error is:
error writing spool : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I have checked that the smbprint system user still exist:
/usr/sbin/adduser --system --disabled-password smbprint

May I know how to solve this issue other than to downgrade samba?

Regards
David