[Samba] "posix locking = no" - is it dangerous?!

Miguel Da Silva - Centro de Matemática mdasilva at cmat.edu.uy
Wed Jul 30 00:09:55 GMT 2008

Dear users, I'm asking myself... what if I use "posix locking = no" to
a share in a Samba server?!

Here goes 3 URL's describing the some problem I have right now:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-January/137529.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-January/137437.html
http://blog.notreally.org/articles/2007/12/

The last one suggest a patch to the kernel code, but I do not want to
touch anything at such level. I've been testing some "locking" options
and could realize that "posix locking = no" brought me an work around
to this problem.

But here comes a very serious issue: data consistency. And also, what
kind of negative impacts could affect the server?!

Suggestions?!

Greetings.
--
Miguel Da Silva