[Samba] Samba with apps clipper very slow

kissg mail.gery at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:49:45 GMT 2008

In my opinion, the reason could be a network overload. Make sure you have a
fast network connection (Gigabit Ethernet for backbone connections and Fast
Ethernet for connecting your clients to the network), and enable the WINS
server of Samba. It will dramatically increase your network performance.
It's very easy to implement, just add "wins support = Yes" to the [global]
section of smb.conf and make sure, your clients use the WINS server Samba
provides. (Set them up manually, or use DHCP option number 44 to tell them,
which name server should they use for NetBIOS name resolution.) Tell us, if
you need some help on how to implement this.
I see you have some settings regarding file locking. The smb.conf man page
says, you should never need to change those parameters by hand. If I was
you, I would remove all of the locking options from the config file. Another
thing to note: it's not necessary to set socket options manually, in case
you use a recent kernel (I assume, you have some Linux OS running on your
server).

I've just read in the smb.conf man page regarding level2 oplocks: "It is
recommended that this parameter be turned on to speed access to shared
executables." Probably this will be the key for your problem, if I
understood you right.

Regardless, that it helped or not, it is still a good idea to segment your
network and use WINS for name resolution.