[Samba] File/directory renaming denied but write access is okay with Samba/LDAP PDC

Stefan Dengscherz stefan.dengscherz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 07:10:46 GMT 2008

Hello List,

i recently re-setup our Samba/LDAP PDC. I have the following problem
now: The shares "lehre" and "public" are writeable, but i cannot
rename files/folders on it from Windows (getting an access denied
message in Explorer) - however, my user can rename the files manually
by logging into the PDC with his account, so permissions seem to be
okay. These problems don't occur on the other shares. Any hints? This
is Samba version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4 obviously on Ubuntu (8.04).

[global]
   netbios name = LX01
   server string = ...
   workgroup = ...
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
   obey pam restrictions = no
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 200
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon drive = z:
   logon script = logon.bat
   logon path = \\lx01\%U\.windows
   profile acls = yes
   hide files = /?esktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/?humbs.db/
   wins support = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   log level = 3
   max log size = 10000
   syslog = 0
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   [LDAP STUFF cut]

[homes]
   comment = Homelaufwerk
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   valid users = %U
   root preexec = /mnt/samba/scripts/smb-home.sh %U
   profile acls = no

[netlogon]
   comment = Netlogon-Verzeichnis
   path = /mnt/samba/netlogon