[Samba] Windows XP Files Disapearing

David Dzikowski david_dzikowski at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:23:03 GMT 2008

When I mount a drive via Windows XP and copy a file via Samba, the file appears to be copied. When I refresh the window in Windows Explorer, however, it disappears! When I copy the *same* file a second time, Windows asks me if I want to *replace* the file (as if it were there but I just can't see it). I've attached the Samba drive to my Windows XP machine and I can see the file that I copied so I know it's are being copied to the drive. It seems like Samba is hiding the file once it's copied to the drive for some reason. I've set the attribute browseable = yes, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

This is my first foray into Linux and Samba. I am running Samba 3.2.0 and Unslung 6.10 on an NSLU2 device. I have a 500GB USB NTFS-formatted drive attached via a hub to the NSLU2 device.

It seems like I may have a permissions problem. Here is my smb.conf file. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

[global]
wins support = yes
bind interfaces only = no
interfaces = 192.168.1.203/24
hosts allow = 192.168. localhost 127.
log level = 1
config file=/opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
unix charset = CP437
dos charset = CP437
os level = 8
workgroup = unslung
server string = unslung
printcap name = /opt/etc/printcap
load printers = no
max log size = 10
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file =/opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=65535
SO_RCVBUF=65535
preferred master = no
local master = yes
domain master = no
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
default case = upper
case sensitive = no
mangled names = yes
null passwords = yes
dos filetimes = yes
veto files = /.ShareConfFile/quota.user/quota.user~/lost+found/$*/
System Volume Information/
delete veto files = false
create mask = 771
force create mode = 660
force directory mode = 771
directory security mask = 771
map system = yes
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = guest
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast winbind
use default domain = no
browseable = yes
#
#