[Samba] Samba update

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Jul 2 12:37:52 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces+misty=borkholder.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+misty=borkholder.com at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
Sascha
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:02 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Samba update

Hi,

I have just taken over the administration of our Samba Fileserver.
Unfortantly, my colleage has not done his homework and sadly forgot keep the
Samba version up-to-date. So, the first step for me would be to update from
our current version 3.0.23c (SuSe rpms) to the most recent. Now I worry
about some changes that could cause problems with my current configuration
file. As I can not shutdown the service for a long time to debug the config,
I would like to know what is the best way to get around any problem?

Thanks for your help and best regards

Your best bet would be to set up a test environment.  :)  If you don't have
an old system lying around, VMWare or VirtualBox is great for this.  You
will probably want to read the changelog and the CURRENT documentation and
make sure your configuration files adhere to the newest documentation
guidelines.