[Samba] Local GID conflicted with domain GID. Samba can't connect to shares

Adam Engel adamengel at specializedbusinesssoftware.com
Tue Jul 1 15:37:06 GMT 2008

Adam Engel wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> RedHat 9.0
> samba-3.0.10-1*
>
> *
> I was attempting to allow several domain users the ability to log into
> my domain controller with their logins. Because the server had no
> local group set up for the users, I created them with the groupadd
> utility.  About 10 minutes later I got a call from my users telling me
> they couldn't access their network shares because the drives hadn't
> been mapped.  I checked some things out, and sure enough the GID of
> one of the new local users conflicted with the domain group 'nobody'.
>
> I'm watching the logs and i am seeing the following errors for all of
> our shares that people are trying to access on the domain controller:
>
> Jul  1 11:05:36 lp-pdc1 smbd[1998]: [2008/07/01 11:05:36, 0]
> smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(620)
> Jul  1 11:05:36 lp-pdc1 smbd[1998]:   '/home/public' does not exist or
> is not a directory, when connecting to [public]
>

> I have since removed the local groups that I added, thinking that this
> would fix the problem. It did not.
>
> The directory exists and the permissions are as such:
>
> drwxrwxrwx    4 root     nobody       4.0K Oct 22  2007 public
>

> Any advice as to what I can do to salvage this? I have restarted
> samba, and the server but this has not fixed it.
>
> I know my OS and samba are extremely out of date. They are like the
> because I do not want to wreck anything, like I just did...
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Also,

This error just showed up in /var/log/messages

Jul  1 11:31:51 lp-pdc1 smbd[2305]: [2008/07/01 11:31:51, 0]
rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_alias_user_groups(206)
Jul  1 11:31:51 lp-pdc1 smbd[2305]:   get_alias_user_groups: gid of user
nobody doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

The user does exist

# grep nobody /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin

# grep nobody /etc/group
nobody:x:99:

The GID of the domain account is  2004.   Should the local GID match the
domain account?  I don't think that it has ever matched before and it
was working fine

-Adam