[Samba] Local GID conflicted with domain GID. Samba can't connect to shares

Adam Engel adamengel at specializedbusinesssoftware.com
Tue Jul 1 15:10:05 GMT 2008

Hey All,

RedHat 9.0
samba-3.0.10-1*

*
I was attempting to allow several domain users the ability to log into
my domain controller with their logins. Because the server had no local
group set up for the users, I created them with the groupadd utility.
About 10 minutes later I got a call from my users telling me they
couldn't access their network shares because the drives hadn't been
mapped.  I checked some things out, and sure enough the GID of one of
the new local users conflicted with the domain group 'nobody'.

I'm watching the logs and i am seeing the following errors for all of
our shares that people are trying to access on the domain controller:

Jul  1 11:05:36 lp-pdc1 smbd[1998]: [2008/07/01 11:05:36, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(620)
Jul  1 11:05:36 lp-pdc1 smbd[1998]:   '/home/public' does not exist or
is not a directory, when connecting to [public]

I have since removed the local groups that I added, thinking that this
would fix the problem. It did not.

The directory exists and the permissions are as such:

drwxrwxrwx    4 root     nobody       4.0K Oct 22  2007 public

Any advice as to what I can do to salvage this? I have restarted samba,
and the server but this has not fixed it.

I know my OS and samba are extremely out of date. They are like the
because I do not want to wreck anything, like I just did...

Thanks,
Adam