[Samba] Re: The use of goup policies in XP and Vista

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 01:03:56 GMT 2008

"Samba News" <xxx at havers.nl> wrote in message
news:fmh0nt$t0s$1 at ger.gmane.org...
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to apply Group Policies from a
> Samba 3.0.26 PDC to my Windows XP and Vista clients. I read chapter 26 of
> the Samba manual (dated April 3 2003) and I was wondering if the
> NTConfig.POL file in the NETLOGON share is the way to go here?
>
> Regards,
> Joost.

You can use the NT 4.0 System Policy Editor with the Windows 200x policies
to implement GPO's.  I know this can be done with XP and Windows 2000.  Not
sure about Vista.

The main difference is that System Policy Editor writes the policies to the
relevant sections of the registry on the workstation.  Windows 200x server's
GPO's do not.

Have a look at these articles

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_System_Policies_with_Samba

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/15478.html