[Samba] Propose mount.cifs/smbfs able to mount the child folder of share folder

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Jan 7 23:24:28 GMT 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008, Michael Heydon wrote:
> > It is much more better if we can simplied the share via this
> > command: mount -t cifs  -o (with necessary
> > option) //server/department/purchasing
> > /home/purchasinguser/Desktop/mydepartmentdata

One can already do this with cifs. Unfortunately the unount doesn't work
correctly (at least last time I tested it).

> You wouldn't expect
> to be able to mount some directory inside an iso9660 or ntfs
> filesystem, why should cifs be different?

I'm missing the point with the local file system (which are generally
transparent over the network) comparison. But cifs should be able to do
it because modern Windows clients can.

--
Chris