[Samba] Multiple mount instead of remount?

Francis Galiegue fg at one2team.com
Mon Jan 7 15:46:42 GMT 2008

Le lundi 07 janvier 2008, Kyle Schmitt a écrit :
> I'm having issues trying to remount any shares using samba.
>
> Super Short version
> mount -o remount /some_windows_share creates a duplicate mount instead
> of properly remounting.
>
> Full details...
> I have many shares served off of NT4 boxes, mounted via samba on a
> linux box (RHEL 4).
> Since long dormant (>12 hour) shares from one server in particular
> always have problems for a few seconds when accessing files, I altered
> my scripts to mount -o remount.  I expected it would freshen the
> mount.  Instead of doing a remount however, it appears to be mounting
> _over_ the original.   Not really what I wanted.  Any idea why it's
> doing this?  I wanted to avoid doing an unmount then a mount, as some
> of these scripts may, on occasion, be run in parallel.  I know at
> least on local drives remounting while in use (at least for read
> operations), doesn't appear to cause problems..

You can always make these scripts avoid running in parallel in the first
place, say, using a sentinel file (not under the mount point of course).

As to why smbfs (or cifs?) acts this way, good question... On both a local,
ext3 mounted filesystem and a remote, NFS mounted filesystem, when I attempt
to remount, I don't see any duplicates.

But what does /proc/mounts say? It may well be different of what the mount
command says, since mount reads /etc/mtab.

Francis Galiegue, One2team - fg at one2team.com
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]
+33178945552, +33683877875, http://www.one2team.com
40 avenue Raymond Poincaré - 75116 PARIS