[Samba] Re: Rename Samba Domain?

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 09:32:12 GMT 2008

"Quinn Fissler" <qfissler at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f084d6f60801030912l5afe950eo15c01ab41c9f3ae9 at mail.gmail.com...
> I've done it - it can be done without pain.
> I was using ldap - I backed up my db first - I also change SIDs by using a
> large scale edit and re-imported.
>
> If you want client machines to stay joined to the domain, you have a
bigger
> problem - depending on the number of clients, it might be easier to unjoin
> before the name change and rejoin afterwards, otherwise, the clients will
> look for the old DC, even to leave the domain.
>
> Have fun :-)
>

> On 03/01/2008, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible? Is it advised? Is there a 'right way'?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Charles

You can also change the new SID back to the old one using the net
setlocalsid command.  Here is an extract from Chapter 13 of  The Official
Howto.

If ever it becomes necessary to restore the SID that has been stored in the
my-sid file, simply copy the SID (the string of characters that begins with
S-1-5-21) to the command line shown here:

root#  net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-1385457007-882775198-1210191635