[Samba] Another Uploading Printer drivers problem.

Richard Chapman rchapman at aardvark.com.au
Wed Jan 2 14:19:04 GMT 2008

Hi. I have been following another thread describing problems uploading
printer drives - but I think I have a different problem.
In my case I have a Samsung CLP510 colour laser physically connected to
a Centos 5.1 X86-64 Linux box with Samba 3.0251514 (3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4
<https://192.168.0.201:10000/software/edit_pack.cgi?search=samba&package=samba&version=3%2E0%2E25b%2D1%2Eel5%5F1%2E4>).
The Printer is intended to be shared by windows boxes on the network. I
have installed the printer as a "raw" printer - so that windows clients
use their own drivers. In order to get rid of the "Access Denied" errors
in the "Printers and Faxes" status - I have put the "use client driver"
directive into smb.conf.

I was hoping that I could still install windows printer drivers on the
Linux server so that new windows client machines would not have to find
the driver elsewhere. I can't see any reason why this should not be
possible. I have created the print$ share and the folders described here:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server

It looks like some parts of this wiki are rather incomplete.

The printer works fine from the clients now (if I provide the client
driver elsewhere) - but I cannot get the drivers to load on the server.

If I browse the network - from a windows client - and select the
properties of the printer within the "Printers and Faxes" folder - then
select "Advanced", and then select "New Driver" - it starts the "Add
Printer driver" wizard. I can select the driver I want and "Finish" the
wizard - but it uploads the driver to the
/windows/system32/spool/drivers folder on the local client rather than
the server.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong - or if there is
something wrong with my configuration which prevents me from uploading
the driver to the server?

Many thanks.

Richard.