[Samba] Another Uploading Printer drivers problem.

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Wed Jan 2 15:37:21 GMT 2008

Hello Richard,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:19:04PM +0900, Richard Chapman wrote:
> Hi. I have been following another thread describing problems uploading
> printer drives - but I think I have a different problem.
> In my case I have a Samsung CLP510 colour laser physically connected to
> a Centos 5.1 X86-64 Linux box with Samba 3.0251514 (3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4
> <https://192.168.0.201:10000/software/edit_pack.cgi?search=samba&package=samba&version=3%2E0%2E25b%2D1%2Eel5%5F1%2E4>).
> The Printer is intended to be shared by windows boxes on the network. I
> have installed the printer as a "raw" printer - so that windows clients use
> their own drivers. In order to get rid of the "Access Denied" errors in the
> "Printers and Faxes" status - I have put the "use client driver" directive
> into smb.conf.
>
> I was hoping that I could still install windows printer drivers on the
> Linux server so that new windows client machines would not have to find
> the driver elsewhere. I can't see any reason why this should not be
> possible. I have created the print$ share and the folders described here:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server
>
> It looks like some parts of this wiki are rather incomplete.
>
> The printer works fine from the clients now (if I provide the client
> driver elsewhere) - but I cannot get the drivers to load on the server.
>
> If I browse the network - from a windows client - and select the
> properties of the printer within the "Printers and Faxes" folder - then
> select "Advanced", and then select "New Driver" - it starts the "Add
> Printer driver" wizard. I can select the driver I want and "Finish" the
> wizard - but it uploads the driver to the
> /windows/system32/spool/drivers folder on the local client rather than
> the server.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong - or if there is
> something wrong with my configuration which prevents me from uploading
> the driver to the server?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Richard.
>
> --

If I recall correctly, then the "use client driver" directive prohibits
the up-/download of printer drivers from the server. Please search the
net to be 100% sure. I remember there was a hint about the issue in
`man smb.conf`:

<snip>
          use client driver (S)

	<snip>

             If  this  parameter is enabled for a printer, then any attempt to
             open the printer  with  the  PRINTER_ACCESS_ADMINISTER right  is
             mapped  to  PRINTER_ACCESS_USE  instead.  Thus allowing the Open-
             PrinterEx() call to succeed.  This parameter  MUST  not be  able
             enabled  on  a print share which has valid print driver installed
             on the Samba server.

	</snip>
</snip>

Although the text: "This parameter  MUST  not be ..." is not clear for
100% and rather difficult to read, it makes sense that having the
printer driver on the server and using the client driver at the same
time is ambiguous. Concerning the "Access Denied" errors, I do not know
what happens, after you have removed the appropriate directive in your
smb.conf.

I hope this helps.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,